DebbieDoesLife

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Pet Peeves #423 - #427

It's that time again...

#423 Don't mistake my "how are you?" for "how are you?" - When I am checking out at the dollar store or whizzing through my grocery store. I don't need an entire rundown of your ailments/problems/details. It is not appropriate. Especially when I don't know you. Dear Lady who works at Ross: I think you are super-duper. But, today when 6 people were behind me in line I did not need you to be so worried that the duck statue I purchased for the guest room would make it home with his neck in one piece. It was five frickin' ninty-nine. And, the ensuing story of the swan's and their babies? Totally not needed.

#424 Racial Slurs: Person who I took to lunch today? When I am waiting on a person driving a van to turn, and ask aloud if she needs a red carpet - I would have said it regardless of her sex, race or creed (what is a creed anyway??) or color. You did not need to throw in at this point, "Orientals." All that did was place the word "Idiot" in my head - about you.

#425 Fake cereal. Why is the Krispy Rice cereal over $1 cheaper than Rice Krispies?? Why??? They all snap, crackle and pop. They all make pefectly acceptable rice krispy treats. Are elves union?

#426 Breast cancer. Breast cancer sucks. I have a friend who is waiting on a second opinion and most likely a biopsy. She is emerging from a yucky divorce and rediscovering life just to discover the possibility of cancer.

#427 - Situations I do not know how to handle: Please help all-knowing and wise internet. Recently, we had friends come to stay and they brought their dog. Said dog seemed okay but upon their leaving the following day, I found several places where said dog "visited" and left presents. Like, poopage and pee-age (on my carpet). I believe these same friends plan to return in about a month. Do I mention the few incidentals they left behind (from their dog's behind) and ask for the dog not to come with them? Or, do I just keep my mouth shut and try to keep an eye on the offender? I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and I don't want the owner to feel terrible (okay, maybe a little but that was only the duration of the cleaning up period).

11 Comments:

  • Oh, you're really cracking me up over here! I love #423.
    And yes, I would tell the dog-bringers to not bring next time!

    By Blogger Renee, at 8/23/2007 11:05 AM  

  • LOL!!

    Visitors should not bring their dogs unless explicitly invited to do so!!

    Signed,
    Miss Oriental

    By Blogger teahouse, at 8/23/2007 3:32 PM  

  • Definitely tell them. Your courtesy should never extend so far as to make you uncomfortable or give you problems. Period. I think it's nice that you're letting them come over. They can find a place to board the pup.

    By Blogger Tink, at 8/23/2007 3:36 PM  

  • You should take a writing, grammar,punctuation, etc class.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/23/2007 11:02 PM  

  • If they're good enough friends and you feel comfortable mentioning it, I think it would be totally appropriate to tell them very nicely that their dog was probably uncomfortable in unfamiliar surroundings and left presents everywhere, and to ask that they either crate their dog at night in your home, or perhaps leave it at home. Of course, if they're the kind of people who consider their dogs to be members of the family, they may just opt not to visit, so be prepared.

    Oh, and maybe you could say something other than "How are you?" to folks at the store if you don't have time for the answer. I know it's so hard not to respond in kind when someone asks one how one is (I catch myself doing this all the time!), but maybe you could adopt a new social saying...? Just a thought. You probably seem so approachable that people just want to talk to you. :-)

    By Blogger B.E.C.K., at 8/23/2007 11:30 PM  

  • Dear Anon,

    When you use the contraction etc. for etcetera, you need a period.

    By Blogger DebbieDoesLife, at 8/24/2007 6:16 AM  

  • HAHAHA to Anon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/25/2007 8:13 AM  

  • pet peeve #56 Anonymous commentors.

    By Blogger Brenda, at 8/27/2007 1:09 PM  

  • AND you should remind people that and rugs are Oriental. People are Asian. I'll be anonymous didn't know that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/29/2007 10:38 AM  

  • As a recent acquirer of a new puppy, I would like to tell you I hate, hate, hate their presents. You should say something, a month of that and the smell will build right back up.

    Yes, Breast Cancer sucks.

    By Blogger Ditsy Chick, at 9/02/2007 10:40 PM  

  • Wow.
    You've been hit by a drive-by editor.
    Nice comeback.

    Are these comments going to be graded?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/04/2007 9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home