DebbieDoesLife

Monday, June 29, 2009

Twitter Will Take Us All to Hel...


I guess from the title you can guess that I don't Twitter, Tweet or Twat. I have twiddled on an occasion and it did involve thumbs but no electronic device.

I do not see the need for Twitter. No real conversation or learning takes place. Do I care what Shaq or Ashton Kutcher had for breakfast? (the answer is NO). Do I need to know what my friends are doing every minute of the day? (again, NO) Do I really care if you are standing in line at Target? My concern is the constant interruption that takes place in our lives with cell phones, Facebook, Twitter, email etc. must be impacting us somehow.
We already prescribe lots drugs to people for Attention Deficit Disorder. Am I the only person to see a connection here? Yes, I know ADD has been around longer than Twitter but maybe there is a link or pattern with the evolvement of our technology. Most of technology is interruptive. Even the beeps on my microwave disrupts my thoughts. I think Twitter signals the end of Knowledge. It is the ultimate waste of time and energy. And, its the ultimate form of narcissm. Does anyone lose themselves in a book anymore? Does anyone really and truly focus on anything? I have my own struggles but I blame my children calling "Mom" 678 times a day for my ADD.
I read a book about an owl that a woman raised and tamed and something she said in it stood out to me. She was studying some owls that would come out at night and hoot and screech in some trees over a parking lot. She would go out to record their calls and monitor their behavior. She noticed almost every single person that passed her or parked there NEVER HEARD THE OWLS. They never even glanced up. According to her these owls were loud. I remember thinking "I hope I am never so out of touch with my surroundings that I wouldn't hear a bird singing or an owl." Many days I am dying to "unplug" and "go off the grid." No phone, no t.v., no email.....just a book and a beer and maybe a hammock.
There are plenty who will hate what I am saying and defend their darling Twitter. Well, I beg to disagree. You are entitled to Twitter, its a free country, but don't bring it around me. I may pull out my fly Swatter or my Swiffer and take out your Twitter.
*after I posted I found this on Brenda's site (thanks Brenda!)http://my-spot-on-earth.blogspot.com/
this is an article about the younger gen wishing their parents would stay out of their business aka the boomers are hogging and changing Facebook and Twitter. http://tech.msn.com/news/articlepcw.aspx?cp-documentid=19904693&GT1=40000

5 Comments:

  • Amen! I couldn't agree more.

    By Anonymous Carol, at 7/01/2009 11:18 AM  

  • I'm with you on that. I just joined Facebook, and it's been a good way to reconnect with friends from high school and college. But I have no interest in Twitter!

    By Blogger teahouse, at 7/16/2009 5:56 AM  

  • Oh, yes! Another person who doesn't enjoy Twitter!

    By Blogger ami, at 7/28/2009 10:59 AM  

  • I don't know about twitter I signed up and then quit cold turkey. But, have to admit I have become a facebook whore, abandoning my blog for the quick and easy facebook....I did repent tonight and wrote a blog post!

    By Blogger PEACE, at 9/20/2009 12:17 AM  

  • Thank you, Debbie! Who knew we'd ever obsess over the mundane like we do now?! In the name of "communicating" on our phones, we have abandoned the rich face-to-face interactions that strengthen and truly refresh our souls.

    By Anonymous Jane, at 10/04/2009 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home